The Ride Cafe is renting space to bike mechanics at The Loop in Melrose.
The Ride Cafe – helping you get there
The Ride Cafe is a bike repair and family travel shop with coffee and more. Launched on Small Business Saturday, November 26, 2022, the community’s positive response has exceeded our expectations. The Ride Cafe shares roughly 2,100 square feet with two other local small businesses, including The Toyary and Lend & Mend, and together the space is called The Loop. This location is a medium-term pop-up until September 15, with potential opportunity to extend or find a new location close by.
Bike Mechanic Space
In a similar model to a hairdresser/barber chair rental, The Ride Cafe is renting space to bike mechanics. Depending on availability, the ideal number of mechanics is 2-3. We currently have one senior mechanic who works Thursdays and Fridays. We’re in need of at least one more mechanic to start asap and by May to meet the tune-up demand.
· Make your own schedule – work anywhere from ~5 hours/month or 20+ hours/week. Use this as a side gig or to launch your own shop. The maintenance & repair schedule will start with online bookings only, based on mechanic availability, and can transition to walk-ins in the spring or summer.
· Bring your own tools while having access to the cafe’s bike repair stand and a shared wheel truing stand.
· Mechanics can use The Ride Cafe’s Quality Bicycle Product vendor accounts for replacement parts and consumables.
· Benefit from the foot traffic, marketing, and outreach of The Ride Cafe and two other businesses sharing the space.
· Rent a locked 175 sq. ft. room within the space and provide a small percentage of repair revenue.
· Requirements are prior bike mechanic experience and carrying your own insurance (general liability can be an average $500/year)
· Bike assembly and how-to repair instructor experience are added benefits and all the revenue from classes can go to mechanic/instructor.
· Background check will be required.
The Ride Cafe’s target market is people who bike for transportation and families & caregivers who bike with kids.
Email email@example.com with your resume, availability and why you’re interested in this opportunity by April 30. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until mechanic is found.